Do you find yourself yelling at the TV because of something said by a politician? Maybe you engage in road rage as you drive to work because someone cut you off or the light didn’t turn green fast enough. Perhaps a colleague or a spouse questions something you did and suddenly you go into red alert prepared for a full-on self-defense attack. These knee-jerk reactions are causing havoc on your well-being and health and mostly likely impairing your ability to make better decisions.
What do you when you are faced with uncertainty, fear, or stress? How do you cope with obstacles? Stoic philosophy could provide you with very useful tools to navigate life’s challenges.
Career burnout is an experience that anyone can face whether you are a fast-track, job-hopping Millennial, a plateaued Gen-Xer weathering career stagnation, or a sandwiched Boomer caring for both your children and your parents.
Consider these questions:
- Do you find yourself becoming increasingly irritable or impatient with coworkers?
- Have you developed a cynical outlook toward life?
- Has your energy or motivation decreased?
- Do you find that your accomplishments no longer bring you real joy or satisfaction?
Martin Luther King Jr. Day highlights an opportunity for us to reflect on our community, our hopes and dreams, and our path to a better future.
The Reverend King inspires us to not only pursue our dreams and goals, but also to fight against injustice and social inequity. He challenges us to become agitators.
In his Letter from a Birmingham Jail, Dr. King talks about his desire to foster tension because the community has become complacent. He is referenced as an “outside agitator.”
“Find your passion and the money will follow.”
“Do what you love even without a business plan.”
These pollyanna statements cause a nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach because they mislead you into thinking that life is easy, blissful, and that money just shows up.
One week ago my husband and I drove our only child to college.
Yes, we officially became empty nesters!
I have transitioned through other roles with glee and delight; for instance, when I became a wife and then a mother. But becoming an empty nester not only raises a whole new set of emotions, but it also earmarks a transition in parenting and an opportunity to recalibrate my own priorities.
Drawing on the latest in neuroscience, positive and cognitive psychology, and behavioral science, New Habit Mindset offers you key information to take actionable steps to create better results in your life, achieve your ambitious goals, and experience greater well-being and happiness.
Your mind is incredibly powerful. Did you know that you have about 60,000 thoughts per day? And 95% of those thoughts are the same as what you had yesterday? We are all running much of our life on autopilot.
To break through old habits and achieve better results in your life, ask yourself:
- What are your thoughts, emotions, habits, and stories that you are telling yourself that are not working for you?
- Where do you get stuck?
- What are you saying to yourself?
- What words are you using that might be limiting your own success?
- Is your body language in alignment with your goals?
- Is your environment and people around you helping or sabotaging your success?
- What habits and rituals can you create to support better outcomes in your life?
“We are we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.”
– Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926)
Take your life to the next level. Get started with one of these steps:
Listen to my podcast on habit change.
Enroll in my e-course. 50% off Special
This course is designed to give you the tools to help you achieve your goals and feel happier, confident and more fulfilled.
Learn some of the latest research and proven techniques to help you achieve your goals:
- Uncover your reality distortions
- Develop your mental strength by developing a growth mindset
- Learn how word choice can determine your outlook
- Gain confidence and resilience
- Discover better habits to serve you in achieving your dreams
3. Read some of my top blog posts with actionable steps:
- Do you have an Olympian mindset?
- Digitally Distracted? 4 Tips to Conquer Screen Hopping
- A sure-fire strategy to boost your productivity.
- The Truth About Stress